18 Dec How to Keep Winter Allergies at Bay in Your San Antonio Home
If a loved one or you suffers from allergies in your household suffers, we don’t have to tell you how important it is to keep them at bay. Spring typically garners the most attention when it comes to allergies but the truth is that winter allergies exist and can be avoided during the holidays.
See our tips on how to help you avoid common winter allergies this season:
- Spray off your holiday tree — Many homeowners that bring holiday trees into their homes don’t realize that the potential mold spores and scent from the tree may irritate allergy sufferers. You can decrease the severity by spraying the tree down with your garden hose before bringing it inside.
- Use a fake tree instead — Buying a fake tree rather than a live one should prevent any allergy problems associated with this seasonal tradition.
- Clean or replace carpets — Since carpets are known for holding in pollutants, replacing them with other flooring, such as laminate or tile, is a good solution. If replacement isn’t possible, use a vacuum equipped with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter for the best results.
- Replace your furnace’s filter — A furnace filter should capture most of the pollutants that may trigger winter allergies, but won’t be as effective once it’s clogged. Replacement should be done every two to three months, or as needed.
- Use your exhaust fans — Bathroom and kitchen exhaust perform a fantastic job at eliminating odors, pollutants, and excess moisture.
For more expert advice on allergies, or if you have any other questions related to home comfort, please contact us at Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning. We serve the HVAC needs of San Antonio and the surrounding areas.